[mythtv-users] PVR-350 NFS, Local Recording and Remote Live-TV

dfleming at swings.2y.net dfleming at swings.2y.net
Tue Apr 5 15:47:59 UTC 2005

The MythTV scenario is this:

System1 - Master with PVR-250 and large disk.

System2 - Slave, completely diskless with PVR-350.  Recordings are
stored centrally on Master via NFS.  PVR-350 is also used for TV-out.

I need help isolating my problem.  If I attempt to watch Live-TV on
System2, the slave, while it is recording it becomes unstable.

Just to clarify, System2 is recording, Live-TV is selected so System1,
the Master, streams the video and it is rendered on the TV connected to
System2.

Initially things are fine.  The problem gets progressively worse if I
pause live-TV.  Once live-TV is roughly 3 minutes behind the system
begins to stutter; hanging for a second or two, then video is played for
5-10 seconds.

I'm not sure how to pin this issue down -- whether the problem is with
MythTV, my hardware or my network.

My diskless slave is a Via c3 500mhz system.  If it is not recording
watching live-TV works perfectly.  However in this scenario the Master
is not streaming anything to it.  All the work is being done by the
slave; encoding and decoding.

The only time the slave system gets unhappy is when it is recording and
video is streamed to it.  The slave can be recording and I can watch
that recording in progress no problem.  It only seems to occur if the
slave is recording and I try and watch live-tv.

Here is some other information if it helps.  The Master is a 2.8Ghz
Celeron; this is also the system Mysql runs on.  My network is 100
megabit Ethernet with an 8 port switch.

I intentionally setup the problem and ran top on the Master, no
processes seemed to be hogging up resources.  (Shoot, I guess I should
have ran top on the slave.  I didn't think about it until just now.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

---Dan