[mythtv-users] What's the best audio card for Myth

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:00:13 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 4:50 PM, Carrison, Stuart <Stuart at carrison.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I use a plane old Sb Live 5.1 works like a treat - mine doesn't have
> optical out, it's connected to a set of Creative 5.1 speakers.
>
> http://www.soundblaster.com/products/live24bit/
>
> Stu

I highly recommend an optical or digital coax out.  I used to have the
1/8 to RCA Y cord and when I replaced it with digital the difference
was amazing.  It was like having a whole new stereo.  Even a mid price
receiver will have better D/A chips than all but the highest price
sound card.  Plus, from what little I understand of RF signal
interfering with audio transmission, the inside of oa computer is no
place for an analog audio signal.  Just send the bits right through
and let the receiver process them.  There are several options for
around $25 that should all work nicely with alsa and myth.