[mythtv-users] frontend only remote?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Apr 4 16:13:31 UTC 2005

>>> mark at onnow.net 04/04/05 11:24 AM >>>
> On a frontend only machine, ( no capture card  ) what is the
> best option for a remote control?
> Are there any inexpensive options to add a remote
> control to a PC that interfaces well with lirc/mythtv?
>
> Recomendations? Experiences?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark

I *highly* recommend a wireless keyboard like an airboard,
coupled with a learning remote.  I messed around with
LIRC for a while, and got it working fairly good.  But there
were occasions where I wanted to have a keyboard (like
if Myth segfaulted or the machine went otherwise
unresponsive), and since plugging in a keyboard or mouse
while the system is powered on is generally a no-no,
I always had to ssh in to the box, shut it down, plug
the keyboard in, fire it back up, etc.  Then I have no
reason to have the keyboard.  I like LIRC, I just don't
want to have to deal with it on a system like Myth
where there will be all sorts and ages of people using
it.  Once LIRC gets every issue ironed out and I don't
need to worry about compiling from source or adding
in patches that may or may not fix my problem, I may
try it again.

I rarely have focus problems.  The myth developers
have done a pretty good job of handing focus back
to where it belongs.  At least I think they are the ones
doing it.

Once I figure out the jump points in myth and remap
some of the xine keys, I'll be extremely happy with
that solution.  The IR receivers for the keyboards
even work with the Xantech and other IR repeater
systems out there!

Paul