[mythtv-users] Optimizing MythTV for AMD64

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Apr 4 05:00:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 10:53:46PM -0600, Brian Foddy wrote:
> I would think a larger portion of HD TVs are 1080i native.  The older
> generation of Rear Projection analog TVs were almost all 1080i native.
> Mine can do both, but 720p is up/down (however you view it) scaled to 1080i.
> Given these tvs have been on the market for many years, I'd think they
> may still outnumber the new plasma and DLP tvs.

I presume you mean CRT projection TVs.  The question is, do the CRTs inside
these really have the ability to display 1080 lines?  In my own shopping
comparisons, I did not find the CRT projection TVs to produce as sharp
an image (even with the artificial sharpenings off, though I could not
do this in every case) as the 720 and 768 line microdisplay TVs.

However, there can be other reasons for this.  The direct CRT TVs, which
are pretty rare, like the fancy Sony XBR, really do have 1080 lines and
even more, and of course our computer monitors mostly have more as well.

Of course, people are buying microdisplays for other reasons -- size,
weight, contrast, stability, and maybe they really are giving up
resolution.   Based on what I see on the floors of TV stores, microdisplays,
though more expensive, seem to be dominating.