[mythtv-users] High-Definition Playback performance data

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Apr 4 04:48:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 08:51:50PM -0500, Pete wrote:
> I'd like to know what I can do get that kind of performance. I've got an
> Athlon XP 3000 (512 MB RAM) and an FX 5200 (AGP) running myth .17 and
> FC3 (everything is from atrpms) where HD is close, but not quite. After
> a lot of hacking to get the channels to work, it finally comes up, but
> I'm getting lousy performance, with a lot of audio buffer underrun's
> (using spdif through an on board nvidia audio chip) and video stutter's.

We should try to build a list of all the things that can go wrong in
making HD work smoothly.  There are many.

They include:

    a) Right drivers for card with your kernel
    b) Proper AGP bus speed and AGP interface driver in use
    c) Proper user of openGL sync for retrace
    d) Proper settings for deinterlace and, if used, xvmc
    e) Proper sound settings and handling of 5.1 sound and multiple streams
    f) Real time scheduling of playback thread
    g) Making sure disk or network speed is adequate
    h) Nothing else sucking up CPU on the machine

And of course having the right cards and memory itself.