[mythtv-users] Time change causes problems

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05 at crowcastle.net
Sun Apr 3 23:02:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 14:35, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> Okay.  I think I know for sure what the exact problem is.  We count the
> number of seconds from Jan 1, 1970 to the GMT time of the program.
> Since QT fixed their secsTo bug, they're now taking into account the
> time zone.  That means that when the GMT time of a show is after the
> daylight savings time transition, our number of seconds to the start of
> the program is off by an hour.

So as mentioned in another post, you can set your timezone to be one
that doesn't use daylight savings time, restart your backend, and you're
all set until fall.

I'm running Gentoo, so I did:
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Virgin /etc/localtime
If you're in EDT, the Virgin Islands use AST, and don't do DST, so
they're the same during the summer.  (i.e., Atlantic Standard Time and
Eastern Daylight Time are the same, and tropical areas tend not to use
Daylight Savings Time, as is the case with the one I selected.)

--PC