[mythtv-users] Time change causes problems

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Sun Apr 3 18:35:40 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 12:15:50PM -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> I ran into a page with a changelog for QT 3.3.4. [1]  Halfway down the
> page it mentions a fix: "QDateTime: Fixed bug in secsTo() during
> daylight savings transitions."  It doesn't give any more detail on
> what the bug or the fix was, but it's possible that it's related.

Okay.  I think I know for sure what the exact problem is.  We count the
number of seconds from Jan 1, 1970 to the GMT time of the program.
Since QT fixed their secsTo bug, they're now taking into account the
time zone.  That means that when the GMT time of a show is after the
daylight savings time transition, our number of seconds to the start of
the program is off by an hour.

That's why everyone's programs started breaking yesterday.  If your time
zone is 6 hours away from GMT, then you'll start having shows be off for
an hour right around 8:00 (6 hours before 2:00).

I'm not familiar enough with QT to offer a fix.  Do they provide any
DateTime functions that deal with GMT differently than local time?

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/