[mythtv-users] I'm a mythtv failure

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Sun Apr 3 17:10:39 UTC 2005

>>> Kelly <navykel at gmail.com> 04/03/05 12:47 PM >>>
>I'm done. Three weekend, 50 hours and still no live HDTV that
> isn't jerky.
>
> It seems to be something to do with audio. I know next to
> nothing about audio and Linux. Never had a need to use it
> so I never messed with it. But it seems to be what is causing
> the video and audio to be out of sync.

Never had a need to use Linux?  What???

>  So, I thought "hey" I'll get the cvs version and compile it.
>  <BUZZER> wrong.

You say you know next to nothing about linux, yet you're
going with CVS?  Where's that logic?  I've been using/admin
of various linux/unix/solaris farms for about 10 years and
I don't think I'm ready for CVS...

> Oh, I need the original tar file. Ok, download .... configure...
> hmmm configure looks different. but it makes and installs.
> good
>
> So now I go back to cvs. Hmmm which configure options do i
> need....well since the atrpm has the xvmc support "disabled"
> I though I'd enable it. But it still fails to compile in
> programs/mythepg

I thought Axel or Jarod just posted that it was enabled?

> This means I can't make a mythtv from source which means I
> can't turn on the xvmc support or verify what my audio is
> doing in the setup.

If the above were correct, yeah...

> Finally I thought I would grap the
> mythtv-0.17-97.rhfc3.at.src.rpm but
> it fails to install.

So grab one of the earlier sourc RPMs.  I think there
are a few available...

> I have now idea if the HD3000 card is defective or not. I
> get SD programing fine OTA but DT programing is jerky
> and non watchable.

Probably not, but you don't mention trying to capture OTA
from the command line outside of Myth.  That would be the
first step.

> I'm done. I have a $1200 door stop. But hey, It's a really
> nice shiny case!

Nah, 'cuz if you were, you wouldn't be posting to the list.
You may need to walk away for a week to regain your
enthusiasm...

> Is it just me or do we need a mythtv support group?
>
> Hi my name is kelly, and I'm a mythtv failure...
> - "Hi Kelly"

Wait!!  I must be in the wrong place then.  I thought this
WAS the MYth support group...

We don't let each other fail...(corny, but I haven't seen
a problem on this list that couldn't be figured out given
the correct information to troubleshoot it.

Paul