[mythtv-users] HDTV Woes

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Apr 3 07:54:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:22:40PM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 02 April 2005 12:54, Ivor Hewitt wrote:

> > > ummm no.  My 2.5 celeron does just fine using libmpeg2 for playback,
> > > and no XvMC enabled.
> >
> > For HDTV res output? I'm surprised it's that's good.
>
> I'm not. My 1.53GHz Athlon (XP 1800) is damned close to being able to play
> back 1080i streams w/a deint filter enabled. The cpu is about 70% busy w/720p
> material, 85-90% w/1080i material w/no deint filter (but major motion
> artifacts).

How does it do when there is another task (even a niced one like
commercial flag or transcode) running on the processor?  I find even
the 3ghz machine can get a little bothered then.

BTW, also is your 720p stream 60fps?  Sometimes I see 720p streams that
are not at the full framerate (since they are derived from filmstock shot
at 24fps in particular.)