[mythtv-users] remote *receiver* ?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Sun Apr 3 03:25:30 UTC 2005

>>> rtsai1111 at comcast.net 04/02/05 8:11 PM >>>
>There are many threads on "favorite universal remote", but for
> some reason I'm having trouble with the other half of that
> equation: something to plug into my PC to *receive* the signals
> from the remote control of choice.
>
> The only stuff I've found on the web is:
>
>	- Build-your-own serial-port IR receiver.

Done it.  Bought one too.  Worked ok.

>	- Hauppage WinTV-PVR cards apparently have a remote
>               control included with them.

Yep.  Works.  Unless you have a frontend only machine.  I have
this situation and tried the above for a while.

>	- IRMan: http://www.evation.com/irman/

Haven't tried this.

> I have an HD-3000 (which did not come with a remote control), so
>  the Hauppage remote control solution does not apply to me.

If have one of these too.  But if you have at leat one hauppauge
card in the machine you want to use as a frontend, this should be
fine.

> I feel like I'm being really dense or something. The only other
> thing I can think of is that people just buy some cheap wireless
> keyboard and configure a remote to send signals to the keyboard's
> IR receiver.

Yep.  Do this on all my frontend only machines now.  Awesome as
I've eliminated the need for lirc and have full functionality.

> But in my experience, the range on wireless keyboards isn't
> that great, so it seems of limited applicability in a large living
> room.

I'm sitting on my couch about 21' away from my TV right now
using the wireless keyboard.  It works just fine from 25' away
as well...going back further...nope, stops working at 28' away.
No ig deal, because at that point I was outside, right up against
the window pointing at the remote.

>  Can someone give me a starting point for something to receive
> the signals from a remote control for an HD-3000-based MythTV
> system?

If this means that your HD-3000 is in a machine running as both a
backend for only an HD-3000 and a frontend, I'd recommend
doing the wireless keyboard/programmable remote.  You can
get an Airboard and a Radio Shack 15-2116 (not the RF one)
for about $50 total.

Going to bluetooth or RF will be more expensive, but you'll
have far greater range.

Paul

Thanks,
--Rob