[mythtv-users] screen too large for TV

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Apr 3 01:37:30 UTC 2005

On 2-Apr-05, at 6:52 PM, Michael Murray wrote:

> are set at 720x480.  Is it possible to change this so that the screen
> will fit my television with dimensions of 23 1/4" H x 32 1/4" W x 20"
> D?  Is that even the correct way to solve the problem?

No, it's not the correct way to solve the problem which is the ivtv X11
driver doesn't have a way to control how much it overscans and it
overscans quite a bit. Instead, go to Utilities/Setup -> Setup ->
Appearance and move to the second screen ("Screen settings"). Mess with
the GUI width, height and offsets. Essentially you're shifting and
shrinking the myth gui until it coincides with your TV's overscan
parameters. On my 27" Sony 648/440/36/12 works great but, of course,
YMMV.

- George