[mythtv-users] How well does commercial detection work?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Apr 2 22:21:26 UTC 2005

Dan Christensen wrote:

>Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> writes:
>

>>Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>

>>>I'd be interested to see what you find.  Are the channels you're talking
>>>about fuzzy or what?
>>>

>>Yeah, they have a bit of a haze to them compared to my other channels.
>>

>I wonder if it would help to apply a narrow filter to get rid of high
>frequency noise before testing whether a frame is blank?  This might
>help for noisy signals without hurting things much for clean
>signals...

I'd be interested in this.  In going through my programs last night, I
found that all my non-CBS recordings were about as close to 100% as I
can imagine.  The only one with issue was CBS and with strict detection
turned on I believe it missed on break and had one short 12 second false
positive and another 0 second false positive (makes me think we should
have some kind of minimum bound on commercial length inclusive with
strict detection to eliminate such short and obvious non-commercials).

Anyways, if you have an example of how to apply this filter to that
channel, I'd appreciate it and would love to test it's results.

Kevin