[mythtv-users] General transcoding help

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Sat Apr 2 20:39:18 UTC 2005

Hi Greg,

Here is a partial answer: I have both MPEG2 and MPEG4 in my MythTV. Both types show up in nuvexport, so it seems there is a problem in your setup.

Niels Dybdahl
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Greg Grotsky
  To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
  Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2005 9:54 PM
  Subject: [mythtv-users] General transcoding help

  Hello All,

  I have a few questions regarding nuvexport.  I'm not really sure how to use it so I've been poking around with it the last couple days.  I wanted to take a show from Myth and make a XviD out of it.  I opened up nuvexport and selected XviD and it gave me a list of shows but my list is much smaller than my list in "Recorded Shows" in MythTV.  I think it has to do with transcoding shows, I just transcoded one of them last night using mythtranscoder and now it doesn't show up in the list.  I used mythtranscoder to remove the commercials.

  My questions are:

  1) Should nuvexport give you a full list of all episodes you have in MythTV?  It seems like it ignores the RTJPEG and MPEG4 transcoded files.  How can I get the already transcoded files to show up in nuvexport?

  2) Is there a page someone could refer me to on everything about transcoding?  Possibly a nuvexport howto page, or the best settings for mythtranscoder or something?

  I guess my problem is, I don't know how the whole transcoding thing works.  I've played around with the options in Myth trying to figure it out but I don't know the differences between RTJPEG and MPEG4.  I record some stuff in HD, is one standard better than another for encoding for space / quality?

  Thanks,
  -Greg

  --- Running Conditions ---
  939pin Athlon64 3200+