[mythtv-users] Help, database corrupted after connecting with a newer frontend

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:16:23 UTC 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 3:07 PM, myth at ultratux.org <myth at ultratux.org> wrote:
> I -stupidly in hindsight- connected to my mythtv backend version 0.14 with a
> frontend 0.16.  It didn't work, it  complained about different versions.

Would have been stupidly in foresight with a little homework...

> Alas, to my amazement that single act fucked up the backend database.

The term you are looking for is "upgraded" not fucked up.  New
versions often call for database changes, so the database structure
gets changed.  Nothing is gone, it's just in a different layout than
what your .14 backend wants it in.

> Is there a way to repair this? A rollback script? A howto do it manually?

Restore your database from a backup or start running a .16 backend.

> (I'm not even daring to touch the subject of how in H*LL this can happen...
> Either the backend disallows access to the incompatible frontend, or it works
> with it, but corrupting it ?!? That's really bad. Losing everything just by
> booting a different frontend, for gods sake...)

It has nothing to do with backend vs frontend and everything to do
with database schema versions between releases.   You can't run in a
mixed enviroment it's been repeated often on the mailing lists.