[mythtv-users] Anyone using LVM2 w/ ext3 for video storage

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 21:21:51 UTC 2005

> yes - it writes unique identifiers to each drive.
> I suggest that when you set up a system like this you rehearse various
> failure scenarios - force an error and do a resync with raid, add a PV
> to an LVM VG, grow the filesystems, swap disks etc etc
> Then, should the worst occur you have at least typed in the commands...
>
> it knows. (it scans all devices for tags and reassembles the LV
> intelligently)

good, I was hoping that would work... So if the drives get mismatched
it can still piece them back together so long as all the same drives
are back in the group?

I would test the scenarios, but I already have LVM set up, so that
would just be asking to lose data at this point.

> To answer your question...
> First, if any one of the drives failed you'd probably lose all your data
> (so if I had those 3 drives, I'd have a 320Gb raid5 array and feel safe
> that if I ever lost a disk then my data would be OK)
> If you just moved a drive eg from one channel to another it'd be fine -
> you'd never notice.

is there a command I need to use to tell LVM that the drive moved? I
remember adding them in I had to add the drives by name (/dev/hdX).

I probably could do raid, but it's just TV recordings, if I lost them
I wouldn't be TOO upset. I should set up raid on my other partitons,
though, that's a good idea.

Thanks for the explanation!

 - Jeff
--
email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites