[mythtv-users] Anyone using LVM2 w/ ext3 for video storage

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Apr 1 15:39:43 UTC 2005

> Hey Devan,
>
> i recently set up LVM and screwed it up twice. :)  it wasn't too
> difficult to start over after figuring out how to delete the
> partitions/volumes i had created.  a good guide is here:
> http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=LvmHowTo
> i used XFS instead of ext3.  both XFS and JFS are optimized for
> large file sizes, such as video, so they are probably a better choice

> that ext3.  they are much more reliable now than they were a
> year or so ago.

Related to this, I just picked up a new mobo last night with a
250gb sata drive.  The mobo has hardware raid (promise) and
based on some of the posts to this list, this is not the
best raid controller.  But, having said that, can I set
this up and then add other drives to the Raid array
and LVM later?  I know having a 1 drive RAID
array does absolutely nothing, but having LVM
set up with only one drive allows me to add drives
to this without having to erase all the data on that
drive when I want to do LVM...I already did that
dance once...

Is having a hardware RAID and LVM overkill?

Paul