[mythtv-users] problems seeking

Lloyd Brown somewhere_or_other at byu.edu
Fri Apr 1 15:09:09 UTC 2005

Hey everybody,

Admittedly, I'm new to this whole MythTV thing, but I already like it.
There's just this one problem though.

I'm recording shows using RTJPEG, and, before it is transcoded, all the
seeking, etc. works perfectly.  However, once it gets transcoded to
MPEG4, there seems to be this arbitrary limit on either end of the
recording in terms of seeking.  Specifically, if I am before a certain
point and try to seek ahead (set to 5 seconds), it jumps farther ahead
to this limit point, and I can't seek back before that point.  It simply
will stop seeking.  Similarly, if I am before the apparent ending limit,
and I try to seek ahead, the video and audio will freeze for a few
seconds, and it will return me to the recording menu, as if the clip was
done.  Where those limits are seems dependent on the clip itself, and
doesn't seem to be consistent at all.  Most of the time, it's less than
2 minutes from the front, for example, but once or twice it was more
like 20 minutes.

If you just watch the clip straight through without seeking of any kind,
it always works.  Occasionally, the total time recorded is incorrect too.

Sometimes re-transcoding the clip seems to fix the problem, or at least
make them better.  It's not consistent, though.

I've tried re-building the seektable in the database using mythcommflag
--rebuild, but this didn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas/suggestions?  If you need more information, let me know, and
I'll post it.

Thanks,

Lloyd Brown

System Info: