[mythtv-users] S-video & widescreen - both in and out

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 1 09:21:17 UTC 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 23:49, David wrote:
> John Sturgeon wrote:
> > I'm not sure if I understand.  You're trying to output 16:9 through
> > s-video?  Can't be done.  The best you can do is letterbox a 4:3 and
> > zoom in on your display, but the results might be somewhat pixelated.
>
> why do you say this?
> My DVD player connects to my projector via s-video and has no problem
> sending 16:9
>
> genuine interest/confusion over this aspect of TV

I believe its more a matter of resolution. When many people hear 16:9, they
immediately think High Definition, which you can't get over SVideo. SVideo
can't do better than 720x480 (NTSC) and 720x576 (PAL/SECAM), but that could
be 16:9 anamorphic, like your DVD player.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...