[mythtv-users] processor?

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 06:59:11 EDT 2004

Depends on what you want to do,  fortunately with the 2502+350s they
can do hardware encoding so you can easily have a slightweight
processor, however if you want to do transcoding of the mp2 files to
mpg4 etc then you're going to want some processor in there that can do
the job easily :)  For the  20 euro difference I'd go for power :)
The pundit's have nice large fans in them that are pretty quite and I
don't notice them when watching/recording tv on my 2.67
-ciaran

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:34:16 +0200, Ryszard <ryszard99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, more is not always better for everyone.
>
> it looks like i can save some cash on the processor then, that sounds good.
>
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:10:31 +0200, Asciimonster
>

> <asciimonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> >

> > Ryszard wrote:
> >
> > >I'm thinking of building a mythtv box, i've got in mind the pundit-r,
> > >hauppage 350 etc etc, and am wondering about processor speed, of
> > >course more is always better.
> > >
> > >i'm thinking of a celeron 2,4 for about 65-75 euro (in holland)
> > >
> > >is it enuff?
> > >

> > Well, only if you use the TV-out (module ivtv-fb) of the PVR 350. I have
> > a PIII 1 GHz with a PVR 250 and 350 and that runs at 6% CPU maximum. The
> > hard disk (transfer speed) is the limiting factor, however.
> >
> > And I must object to the phrase "more is better" because more also means
> > more fans. The newest compu's have 5 or more fans, giving rise to the
> > 747 effect (the noise of a starting 747). Luckily my PIII only has 2 and
> > the noise is quite bearable.

- Ciaran
http://www.wombatinvasion.com/ (Share the love)