[mythtv-users] Re: XFS Recommendations?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Sep 29 14:07:49 EDT 2004

On 9/29/2004 1:27 PM, Nate wrote:

> Axel Thimm wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:22:18PM -0700, Mike Wood wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys/gals,  I'm setting up a new drive to be used as my myth
>>> storage
>>> device.  I'm thinking about using XFS as the file system.  I don't want
>>> to start a debate over whether that's a good choice.  That's been done.
>>> What I'm wondering is, from those that are using XFS successfully for
>>> Myth, do you recommend any options/settings, either when the filesystem
>>> is created, or mounting options.  Obviously, I'm looking for
>>> performance
>>> improvements, and stability improvements, if any.
>>
>> Try to avoid kernels with 4KSTACKS.
>
> Hmm, I'm using xfs w/ 4k stacks on gentoo just fine.
> What makes you think it won't work?

I'm not the person above that said to "try to avoid", but I do have some
info regarding this.

It isn't that they won't work, just you *may* have issues with 4k
stacks.  Here is one of the reasons: http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/7/20/62
.  Basically there is a potential for a kernel oops if the XFS
filesystem gets *near* full and tries to free some reserved space.
There was another reason posted on the lkml, but I don't recall it nor
have a link handy (sorry).

That being said.  XFS has been working great for me and I have no
intention of changing in the near term.  Of course I still use 8K stacks
though (on 2.6.9-rc2).
--
David