[mythtv-users] Re: anyone attempt mythfrontend on Cygwin?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 27 02:16:54 EDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 07:50:03PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Do you plan to work on the backend as well? I would expect that to be a
> lot of work as well eg lack of a standard video capture API on Windows
> (especially for DVB etc; might be standardised enough for analog).

There are a couple of video-capture APIs available: Video for Windows (VfW)
and DirectShow (part of DirectX).  Of the two, DirectShow is the preferred
choice for new software that needs to do video capture, as most hardware
(from webcams to TV-tuner cards) ships with WDM drivers that work with
DirectShow.  VfW has been around since before Win95 and is definitely a bit
long in the tooth at this point.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter