[mythtv-users] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

Greg Donald destiney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 16:46:29 EDT 2004

I have installed mythtv from source.  Now when I try to run the setup
program, I get the error:

> ./setup
Unable to connect to database!
Driver error was [1/2002]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

My mysql.sock file is in the default location /tmp as per the MySQL manual:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Problems_with_mysql.sock.html

"The default location for the Unix socket file that the server uses
for communication with local clients is `/tmp/mysql.sock'."

Does anyone know how I can tell the setup program to use /tmp instead
of the wrong default location it's trying /var/lib/mysql ?

Yes, MySQL is running and works fine:

 > mysql -umythtv mythconverg -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 32 to server version: 4.0.21

mysql>

I have searched the mythtv site, read all the FAQs, googled for the
answer, and even asked on #mythtv-users.

Thank you,

--
Greg Donald
http://gdconsultants.com/