[mythtv-users] Re: pvr-250MCE, debian and kernel 2.6 woes...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 25 10:54:47 EDT 2004

On 09/25/2004 10:00 AM, Christopher Flynn wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:09:34 -0400, Michael T. Dean
><mtdean at thirdcontact.com > wrote:
>

>>On 09/24/2004 11:40 PM, Christopher Flynn wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any reason I'm getting static instead of a signal?
>>>

>>Either your configuration is wrong, or you have a 250 with one of the
>>brand new tuner types (my guess, the LG TAPE...).
>>

>Um... is that LG TAPE a bad thing? If so I found some bad news in the logs...

Bad, no.  More work, yes...

>>Assuming--since you're using Linux 2.6 and since you have a
>>Makefile2.6--you're using a relatively recent one of Chris Kennedy's
>>patches, please post the initialization section from your system log
>>file.  If the log file is /var/log/messages, you can obtain the info with:
>>
>>tac /var/log/messages |
>>sed -n '/=  END INIT IVTV  =/,/= START INIT IVTV =/p;
>>          /= START INIT IVTV =/q' |
>>tac
>>

>I've attached the output as ivtvlog.txt but the lines that worry my
>after your comment are:
>Sep 25 09:43:49 flynnguy kernel: tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 32552,
>rev = C168, serial# = 2779893
>Sep 25 09:43:49 flynnguy kernel: tveeprom: tuner = LG NTSC (TAPE
>series) (idx = 68, type = 47)
>Sep 25 09:43:49 flynnguy kernel: tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom
>= 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
>Sep 25 09:43:49 flynnguy kernel: tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3440 (type = 11)

Yes.  Those are the ones I was primarily interested in.  You have a
tuner that Hauppauge just started using in their cards.  Current
versions of the Linux kernel do not have support for the tuner (but the
patches are working their way through the system).  Therefore, you'll
have to patch your kernel's tuner module.  Patches are available at
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg00773.html .

Note that you'll need the Linux 2.6 patch.  You will not need the ivtv
patches (because you're using a version > 108l, so the patches are
already applied).  The video4linux patches are most likely also
unnecessary (I'm assuming you're using the tuner module that came with
the kernel).

Mike