[mythtv-users] Choppy HDTV playback

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 13:06:13 EDT 2004

At 16:51 24/09/2004, you wrote:
>Curious if anyone has any ideas…… I get fairly choppy playback on an
>Athlon XP 2600 with XVMC enabled on an nforce2 motherboard. The thing I
>find odd is that my CPU usage is only around 60-70%. If I tell it to use
>video as a timebase it actually slows the audio down at times, so I don’t
>think it’s a horsepower issue, more a syncing problem. Any ideas? I’ve
>tried openGL sync on and off, XVMC on and off, but no dice. Oh, also of
>note this is on a network connected frontend streaming from the backend
>over a 100mbps connection. Thanks in advance,
>
>-Jason

Are you definitely running the network at 100Mbit/s? Are you using the
onboard nVidia ethernet, or a different one? A couple of the nForce2's in
the office have rather disappointing transfer rates (we're lucky if we get
30Mb/s out of them). IIRC a normal HDTV stream shouldn't use up more than
about 20Mbit/s, but if your NIC isn't performing as advertised you'll get
dropped frames... although this would probably manifest itself differently
from the symptoms you're seeing...