[mythtv-users] 1 step forward, 2 steps back

Tim Sailer tps at buoy.com
Fri Sep 24 11:46:05 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:22:03AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Yes.  The TCL 2002N tuner is not yet supported by the tuner module in
> the Linux kernel (your tuner module does not have a type 50 tuner, so
> setting the tuner type fails).  Therefore, you'll have to ensure you're
> using an updated version of the kernel's tuner module.  Today, Axel
> released an RPM of the latest video4linux snapshot that has support for
> the tuner (see http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg00737.html ).  The
> initial version of this package has an incorrect value which will cause
> the tuner to function improperly, but Axel will be updating the package
> very soon.  You can go ahead and try updating your v4l as described in
> Axel's message, and if you get snow, you'll know it hasn't been
> updated.  If you prefer, you can wait until tomorrow, and it will
> probably be updated.

Is there any place to get non-rpm patches? I'm running Debian and a
2.6.8 kernel.

> BTW, I saw your other post (using tuner 9), but you'll still want to
> update so you can use type 50.  With tuner 9, you'll have problems with
> some channels (mainly in the mid-range--those between 137.25MHz and
> 172MHz (17-21) and those between 385.25MHz and 448MHz (50-63)) if using
> cable TV; for OTA, you won't notice a difference, but you might as well
> use the correct definition).

I'm stuck on channel 3 at the moment (just pulling the feed from the
individual Sat. boxes), so that doesn't matter. However, the remote
doesn't work with Myth, but does work at the OS level. Would the tuner
type be the cause of this?

Tim