[mythtv-users] 1 step forward, 2 steps back

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 24 01:22:03 EDT 2004

On 09/23/2004 10:25 PM, Tim Sailer wrote:

>tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 32062, rev = B185, serial# = 7370197
>tveeprom: tuner = TCL 2002N (idx = 85, type = 50)
>tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
>tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3445 (type = 12)
>tuner: tuner type not set
>Now, it shows tuner 50, but then says tuner type not set.
>Uh, what? Is this the case of too new of a card?

Yes.  The TCL 2002N tuner is not yet supported by the tuner module in
the Linux kernel (your tuner module does not have a type 50 tuner, so
setting the tuner type fails).  Therefore, you'll have to ensure you're
using an updated version of the kernel's tuner module.  Today, Axel
released an RPM of the latest video4linux snapshot that has support for
the tuner (see http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg00737.html ).  The
initial version of this package has an incorrect value which will cause
the tuner to function improperly, but Axel will be updating the package
very soon.  You can go ahead and try updating your v4l as described in
Axel's message, and if you get snow, you'll know it hasn't been
updated.  If you prefer, you can wait until tomorrow, and it will
probably be updated.

BTW, I saw your other post (using tuner 9), but you'll still want to
update so you can use type 50.  With tuner 9, you'll have problems with
some channels (mainly in the mid-range--those between 137.25MHz and
172MHz (17-21) and those between 385.25MHz and 448MHz (50-63)) if using
cable TV; for OTA, you won't notice a difference, but you might as well
use the correct definition).

Mike