[mythtv-users] PVR-250 and MPEG2 question

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 21 14:05:14 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 10:44, Michael J. Lynch wrote:
> Any idea how much P3 CPU crank is needed to view 720x480 8Mb/s MPEG2
> video?

My Athlon 800 with a GeForce 4 MX had no problems handling that exact MPEG2

> Is MPEG2 decoding
> significantly more processor intesive than MPEG4 decoding?

MPEG2 decoding is less processor-intensive than MPEG4. Less decompression to
do. MPEG2 is also at least somewhat standardized, while there are umpteen
different MPEG4 variants...

Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...