[mythtv-users] Re: Deleted commercials show up again on DVD.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Sep 21 00:28:20 EDT 2004

>> However, the cruft I deleted using the MythTV "edit" menus
>> shows up on the DVD.
>
> [...]
>
> It sort of looks like there are two options:
>
>  1) GOPchop.
>
>     Requires GTK GUI crap.

I build and installed GOPchop and tried to run it on an NFS
mounted .nuv file.  Not an option.  It took about 30 minutes to
parse the file, then after another 20 minutes of "building
tables" or something, I gave up and killed it.

>  2) mpeg2cut from the nuvexport package.
>
>     AFAICT, this also requires GTK.

Haven't tried that one yet, but I found another option:

3) Enable the MPEG2->MPEG2 transcoding feature in Myth.

Tried this.  The transcoding ran, and the commercials appear to
be gone, but the output file doesn't play well.

1) The length that shows up in the OSD is completely whacked
   (hundreds of hours instead of 30 minutes).

2) Can no longer edit the file using Myth.

3) If I try to skip forward/backward, the video plays jerky
   from then on.

Don't know what happens if you burn the file to DVD.

Has anybody else had good luck with the MPEG2->MPEG2 option in
mythtranscode?