[mythtv-users] Re: This is odd...

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 18:30:34 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:34:04 -0700, James L. Mayhugh <mythtv at gmj.com> wrote:

> I don't see anything, but then again, I'm not sure what I'm looking
> for:
> *****
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> *****
>
> Any suggestions?

Hmmm ok I think I may know how to solve two of the lines.  Notice the
sound module install line indicated above.  This line says "when
snd-intel8x0 is installed (meaning when it is modprobed) run
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore".  Well, try running /usr/sbin/alsactl
restore froma  prompt by itself.  If this fails, simply run
/usr/sbin/alsactl store.  This should fix it.

Let me explain.  alsactl store and alsactl restore are used to keep
track of your sound settings (i.e. volume at 10%).  When the sound
module is first modprobed it tries to restore saved settings, but has
none to restore.  Therefore this command fails.  The modprobe itself
doesn't fail, the module should still work.  It is simply the install
*trigger* fails.  If you run alsactl store once it will save some
settings in order for them to be restored.

This should remove the first two lines.  As for the "sox" line, that's
due to the app itself.  I would suggest upgrading or talking to the
sox people about it.  Maybe even use a different application.....

--
Got a question? http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html