[mythtv-users] Is PVR-350 Slow to change Channels?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 20 13:39:22 EDT 2004

On 09/19/2004 09:42 PM, vasudeva wrote:

>* on 09-19-04, John Andersen wrote:
>

>>My PVR-350 can take as much a 5 to 7 seconds to change channels.
>>Is that Normal?
>>

>I wouldn't say my PVR 350 takes 7 seconds, but it's definitely
>slow -- 2-4 seconds, maybe?

Remember that everything you watch is being written to disk.  Myth, by
itself, will buffer 2 seconds of video before playback.  Therefore, the
quickest you could possibly change a channel is 2 seconds.  However, the
PVR-350 also has an internal buffer on the card, therefore, it can take
longer when using the 350's TV out (should be around 4 seconds, because
the PVR-350 has about a 2 sec buffer on board).

The solution:  Always use browse mode when changing channels in LiveTV
(under Settings, TV, Playback).  Find the program you want to watch in
the browse mode or EPG and then change channels.

Mike