[mythtv-users] DVD eject button

Charlie Brej brejc8 at vu.a.la
Mon Sep 20 05:30:18 EDT 2004

Lorrin Nelson wrote:
> This is more of a Linux question than a MythTV question, but I'm hoping
> someone can help. Once I put a DVD in my MythTV box I can't get it out
> with the eject button on the drive. Is there a way to fix this?
> Switching to a command prompt and running "eject" each time is a little
> tedious.
>
> One thing that's odd is that even after an apparently successful umount
> the drive's still mounted:
>
> tomato:/etc/X11# umount -v /dev/hdc
> /dev/hdc umounted
> tomato:/etc/X11# mount | grep hdc
> /dev/hdc on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=mythtv)
>
> But eject works:
>
> tomato:/etc/X11# eject -v
> eject: using default device `cdrom'
> eject: device name is `cdrom'
> eject: expanded name is `/cdrom'
> eject: `/cdrom' is a link to `/media/cdrom0'
> eject: `/dev/hdc' is mounted at `/media/cdrom0'
> eject: unmounting `/dev/hdc'
> eject: `/dev/hdc' is a multipartition device
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/hdc' using CD-ROM eject command
> eject: CD-ROM eject command succeeded
>
> I checked, it's not a hardware problem with the button.

I think you might be running gnome or some other system which mounts the cd when
it detects it. Turn off mounting. Instead use automount.
In "/etc/auto.master" insert the line:

"/misc   /etc/auto.misc --timeout=2"

and in "/etc/auto.misc" add the line:

"cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom"

(assuming /dev/cdrom is linked to your cd drive (ala /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdb)

Now you can just enter /misc/cd and your cdrom will be automounted and after 2
seconds of non usage can be ejected. You will need to blindly walk into the
directory as it doesn't appear until you have mounted. Also as usual it will not
unmount unless you have left the cdrom directory. Make soft links to it from
your videos directory in order to watch stuff from CD's.

--
         Charlie Brej
APT Group, Dept. Computer Science, University of Manchester