[mythtv-users] Automatic Commercial Detection - how to get it

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 14:58:02 EDT 2004

At 18:32 16/09/2004, you wrote:

>Christopher Flynn wrote:
>>>What I have noticed however that every channel here in the UK pumps up the
>>>volume considerably when switching to ads, which always has me reaching for
>>>the mute button. Is there any way commflag can be confugled to take this
>>>into account also? Does the same kinda thing happen in the US?
>>Yes! This is so very annoying. Not all channels do it but a large
>>percentage do. I'd certainly like a feature like this.
>>mythtv-users mailing list
>><mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>I have a TV that has the 'smart volume' feature built into it. To bad I
>don't use it for myth. It detects a big jump in volume and lowers the
>audio level to keep it normal. It is an older tv, years old. It would be a
>handy feature to have, but with commercial skipping, it really isn't needed.
>- James

I'be round your house in an hour with a SWAT team and a tank. Come out with
your TV in the air!

Yours, Jack Valenti

Out of anecdotal interest, what brand of TV is it? I've never seen such a
function in any TV's here in the UK. Aside from a patch to mythcommflag
that detects extra loudness, I wonder if there is any way in doing this in
realtime on a mythbox...?

Ah yes, moon-on-a-stick time...