[mythtv-users] Automatic Commercial Detection - how to get it

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 13:22:56 EDT 2004

At 17:34 16/09/2004, you wrote:

>If only we could work out a way to have MythTV electrocute people who
>put their "cute" kids in their car/furniture/prebuilt home
>commercials, my life would be complete.

Hot damn! Now *that* is a patch worth having.

However, would a Terminator-style solution not be better? Have everyone
link their mythtv boxes up together, create Skynet, and use it's
computerised evilness to send robotic assassins back in time to prevent the
obnoxious advertisers from ever being born...? ;)

>The important thing is that I'm not bitter.
>
>To make this message more relavent, have you noticed it's almost
>always primetime network shows that do this?  I never have commercial
>detect problems with cable unless there happens to be a very dark
>scene, but shows on NBC and CBS regularly force me to turn off the
>commercial skipping.  I seriously do think it's an effort to thwart
>tivo.
>
>--Ryan

Ads in the UK seem alot less sneaky than this, but then you can't get TiVO
here (any more). Channel 4 are very reliable with their blank frames, it's
only ITV who like to have theirs blend seamlessly. Although I will say ad
detection in primetime shows does seem rather less accuate; if I take my
tinfoil hat off, I could see that they're just wanting to squeeze in as
many ads as possible, and so dispense with the blank frames...?