[mythtv-users] Stupid x-server bug...

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:29:32 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:28:49 -0400 (EDT), Cory Papenfuss
<papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:
>         In the process of migrating to a new box, I re-ran into the problem I
> had once upon a time RE interlacing and XV.  I've got a pile of old vid cards,
> but the intersection of the set of those which are:
>
> - AGP
> - Support XV
> - Support interlacing
> - Supports 480i timing (i.e. SLOW dotclock and HFreq)
> - Bugless
>
> is the null set.  I used to use a R128 since it does all, but there's a bug in
> Xv with interlaced modelines that make it display only the top half of the
> video.  With RH9, I was able to use the GATOS driver with XF86, but with xorg
> in FC2 that won't work.  Any thoughts on bugfixes for that?  I suspect that
> with folks with HDTV or component video at 480i will find this out as well.
>
> Thoughts on a solution?  Cards I have tried include:
> NV GF2:         No interlace (hardware limitation)
> NV TNT2:        No interlace (hardware limitation)
> G100 matrox:    No Xv
> Voodoo3:        No interlace (says it does, but doesn't actually)
> R128:           Xv Interlace bug
> R128 Pro:       Xv Interlace bug
> Mach64:         Not AGP (PCI slots full)
> Permedia2:      No interlace
> Matrox Mill:    No Xv, not AGP
>
>         I can't justify buying a vid card special for this, since that's the
> reason I built the VGA->NTSC converter board.... to use general vid cards to
> get really high-quality tvout.
>
> -Cory

> * Cory Papenfuss                                                        *
> * Electrical Engineering candidate Ph.D. graduate student               *
> * Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University                   *

I would only like to point you to the link in my signature...
specifically this section, which I will quote here:
----------------------------------
Don't claim that you have found a bug

When you are having problems with a piece of software, don't claim you
have found a bug unless you are very, very sure of your ground. Hint:
unless you can provide a source-code patch that fixes the problem, or
a regression test against a previous version that demonstrates
incorrect behavior, you are probably not sure enough.

Remember, there are a lot of other users that are not experiencing
your problem. Otherwise you would have learned about it while reading
the documentation and searching the Web (you did do that before
complaining, didn't you?). This means that very probably it is you who
are doing something wrong, not the software.

The people who wrote the software work very hard to make it work as
well as possible. If you claim you have found a bug, you'll be
implying that they did something wrong, and you will almost always
offend them — even when you are correct. It's especially undiplomatic
to yell "bug" in the Subject line.

When asking your question, it is best to write as though you assume
you are doing something wrong, even if you are privately pretty sure
you have found an actual bug. If there really is a bug, you will hear
about it in the answer. Play it so the maintainers will want to
apologize to you if the bug is real, rather than so that you will owe
them an apology if you have messed up.
----------------------------------

And this section from the FAG of the same link:
Q: My program doesn't work. I think system facility X is broken.
A: While it is possible that you are the first person to notice an
obvious deficiency in system calls and libraries heavily used by
hundreds or thousands of people, it is rather more likely that you are
utterly clueless. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence;
when you make a claim like this one, you must back it up with clear
and exhaustive documentation of the failure case.

--
Got a question? http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html