[mythtv-users] Anybody tried prelink?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 16:04:40 EDT 2004

At 13:38 15/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Stephen Tait wrote:
>
>>At 08:43 15/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>>Brian
>>>Auto login is not that difficult.  KDE controls this with
>>>/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.  You can configure it with KDE control center (GUI)
>>>or by editing the file manually.  A quick grep of my kdmrc file yields
>>>the following.
>>>
>>>[root at mythtv kdm]# cat -n kdmrc | grep mythtv
>>>     25  DefaultUser=mythtv
>>>     54  NoPassUsers=mythtv
>>>     61  AutoLoginUser=mythtv
>>

>>Aye, I've done autlogin under KDE and GNOME before, but I don't have
>>either installed on this system and so have been looking for a way to do
>>it with xdm (no joy) or another lightweight login manager that supports
>>autologin (again, no joy). Enlightenment's login manager is about to get
>>autologin support, but again it'd mean me installing yet more unnecessary
>>libraries and stuff.
>
>Then don't install all that stuff.  On my dedicated box, I've got less
>than 1GB (and that still seems like it's too much).  I only run X and
>xfwm4.  Start from a bare minimum install and add on from there.  This
>have been covered before if you search the archives.
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/49788?#49788
>
>My startup script that gets run when the myth user logs in looks like this:
>
>export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>X :0 -dpi 100 &
>xfwm4 --daemon
>mythfrontend
>
>That's it.  The machine boots, init logs in the mythtv user, the script
>runs, and up comes myth.  Simple.  And I don't have megs and megs of
>unused KDE or Gnome desktop files filling up my drive.
>
>As for autologin, try
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/33305?search_string=auto%20login;#33305

Whoah, thanks bluesguy!

Much like you, I have a very low maintenance system (pretty much just X,
fluxbox, qt, myth and xine take up any significant space) and wanted to
keep it that way, and couldn't find anything about autologin on such a
setup anywhere (everyone just told me to use KDM/GDM) - although I didn't
think to check the Myth lists, d'oh. Cheers for the heads up! I shall try
haXx0ring away at it tonight in the hope that it will banish my cold.
Although I think I'll have to learn alot more about the boot procedure
before I have any hope of this working...