[mythtv-users] Anybody tried prelink?

Blues Guy bluesguy at stny.rr.com
Wed Sep 15 13:38:42 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> At 08:43 15/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>> Brian
>> Auto login is not that difficult.  KDE controls this with
>> /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.  You can configure it with KDE control center (GUI)
>> or by editing the file manually.  A quick grep of my kdmrc file yields
>> the following.
>> [root at mythtv kdm]# cat -n kdmrc | grep mythtv
>>     25  DefaultUser=mythtv
>>     54  NoPassUsers=mythtv
>>     61  AutoLoginUser=mythtv
> Aye, I've done autlogin under KDE and GNOME before, but I don't have
> either installed on this system and so have been looking for a way to
> do it with xdm (no joy) or another lightweight login manager that
> supports autologin (again, no joy). Enlightenment's login manager is
> about to get autologin support, but again it'd mean me installing yet
> more unnecessary libraries and stuff.

Then don't install all that stuff.  On my dedicated box, I've got less
than 1GB (and that still seems like it's too much).  I only run X and
xfwm4.  Start from a bare minimum install and add on from there.  This
have been covered before if you search the archives.

My startup script that gets run when the myth user logs in looks like this:

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
X :0 -dpi 100 &
xfwm4 --daemon

That's it.  The machine boots, init logs in the mythtv user, the script
runs, and up comes myth.  Simple.  And I don't have megs and megs of
unused KDE or Gnome desktop files filling up my drive.

As for autologin, try