[mythtv-users] Wireless on Linux

David Shay david at shay.net
Wed Sep 15 10:34:58 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Smith" <john_smith_45678 at yahoo.com>
To: "MythTV Users" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:04 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Wireless on Linux

> Does anybody have a wireless MythTV box? I'm just
> trying to determine which (if any) PCI wireless cards
> work under Linux.

I went down that path, and then decided to use a slightly different
approach.  I already had a Linksys WRT54G router in place, so I bought an
additional one, and then loaded up custom firmware from
http://www.sveasoft.com .  That let it act like a wireless bridge, so I
could use my PC's built-in 100BaseT adapter.  In my case, I had no spare PCI
slots, and could only use USB adapters, and I never found a USB wireless
adapter that would work with Linux.  The multiple router approach works
great, and is cheaper in many cases than wireless cards or pre-built
wireless bridges.  You can pick up a WRT54G for $50-60 these days.

I stream video through multiple paths in the house (I actually have 3
WRT54Gs set up as a wireless distribution system[WDS]), all over 802.11g and
have no bandwidth issues.