[mythtv-users] Best way to backup / (Root)

Greg Foster greg.foster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:52:50 EDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:46:26 -0700, Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> John Sturgeon wrote:

> > Mondo Rescue...
>
> I'll second that one.
>
> --
> Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
> jcw at wilsonet.com
>
> Got a question? Read this first...
>       http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> MythTV, Fedora Core & ATrpms documentation:
>       http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

While it may not be the most elegant...

I've got a second internal disk which has been partitioned like the
first.  I rsync the data every few days, granted the mysql database
either has to be shutdown (to get a valid copy of the tables), or one
could mysqldump the relevant dbs to a directory to be imported.

After ensuring the rsync ignores your modified copy of '/etc/fstab' on
the second drive (you don't want to mount a bad copy of your root
drive after the kernel fires up, do you ? :)) I added the bootblock
via lilo (or grub, your choice).  Now I can boot from either disk, and
it's relatively smooth sailing.  Make sure that your references to
alternate disks are correct in your lilo.conf before relying on this
though.. I had a couple rough starts while testing.

Greg.