[mythtv-users] Run multiple Myth apps on single box?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 14 10:39:18 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:24:33AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> From: "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net>
> On Tuesday 14 September 2004 01:07, Chris Lynch wrote:
> > I just got MythTV up and running, and I'm excited as I'm a complete
> > Linux newbie and it's working (fingers crossed).  One question I had
> > is whether or not it's possible to do "multiple" front end things at
> > one time.  As an example:
> >
> > -  Browse a photo slideshow in the gallery while playing music
> > -  Rip a DVD while watching Live TV or a playing a song
> >
> > That kind of an idea - today, when I hit ESC on my keyboard or
> > Back/Exit on my remote it seems to stop the current process.  Is
> > there a more elegant binding to use to "move" around.  A quick search
> > didn't really give me answer on the archives, but I may have missed
> > it.  Also, if this is possible, what's the config to enable it?
>
> This is a much-requested feature, but the short answer is a qualified
> "no".  I'll explain.

Well, perhaps it's not quite that bad.

You can in fact have multiple mythfrontend's running, my sister does it
all the time.  The only constraint is that Bad Things Will Happen if
more than one of them tries to sieze a) audio or b) Xv -- which means
that as long as you don't try to *play media* from more than one at the
same time, you're OK.  I was hoping for a commandline option to specify
the theme -- in this situation, having them visually distinguishable is
handy ("oh: I manage files on the grey one, but I play them on the blue
one").

Given that restriction (and others you might find along the way), yeah,
you can run more than one frontend at the same time.

If you've wrapped yours in a script, as we have, to point the log
output somewhere useful, note that they'll probably interleave, which
might be messy...

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi