[mythtv-users] coax spdif mobo recomedation ?

dave johnson DJ4904 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 14 05:09:53 EDT 2004

thanks steve, i hadn't thought of that option...  that's pretty slick.  that certainly opens up the possibilities.

in my search tonight, i DID come across the ASUS P4P800 SE and it looks decent if i added a cheap $25 radeon:

i have heard that while the Realtek ACL655 (and 650) can re-encode system audio to a 5.1 signal out the S/PDIF, most other
integrated sound chipsets cannot ? ? ?

i have looked through the hardware database on http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php and it doesn't really list specifics about
audio->A/V receiver interface and usability.  not having setup a working mythtv box yet (my TurboTV had bad driver issues and my PCI
ATI AIW Rage 128 Pro had even worse problems) and don't currently have a sound card with S/PDIF out, i haven't experienced how the
sound interface works.

i'd like to route all audio out the S/PDIF to be handled by the AVR-520.  the unit supposedly can auto-sense PCM/AC3/MP3 over the
S/PDIF in but i have no hardware to validate this functionality.

if i should be looking at an archive thread on hardware setups somewhere, please point me to it.

thanks again !

ps- i'm pretty excited about this project since life without my DirectTiVo the last 6mos has been painful !  my scenario, for those

-full ATX case HTPC/server workhorse in attic going via HD-15 VGA to X1 ceiling-mounted in viewing room.

-75-ohm coax and stereo rca pair going from pc to a Harmon-Kardon AVR-520 reciever in viewing room (wires already ran.)

-usb-2.0 cable (active) extension going to ND-2510 Dual-Layer DVD-/+RW in external USB 2.0 case in media rack in viewing room (wires
already ran.)