[mythtv-users] HDTV changing channels

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sun Sep 12 21:00:48 EDT 2004

Preston Crow wrote:

>I have a HD-2000 card, and I'm running with the official 2.6 drivers
>(with a 2.6.7 kernel).  I also have a PVR-250, so I only use the HD-2000
>for ATSC.  I have Myth compiled from the Gentoo ebuilds.  All of this
>applies the same with 0.16 as with 0.15.1 and earlier.
>
>First, if I want to watch channel 7.1, I don't seem to be able to enter
>7.1 to switch to it, as it doesn't think a period can be part of a
>channel number.  Do I have to use some alternate encoding for my HDTV
>channels, like 1xyz for xy.z?

What I ended up doing is creating a new channel number (for example 907)
and set its freqid to 7-1.

>Also, Myth doesn't seem to be telling the card to change channels.  If I
>set the external channel change command to /bin/true, it works fine,
>provided I first run dtvsignal to set the channel.  However, if I don't
>use an external channel change program, Myth still doesn't change the
>channel for me.  I tried using a real external channel changing command
>once, but half the time Myth would the fail to open the video device,
>presumably because the external command was too slow in closing it.

I haven't really messed with mine much lately, but myth seems to set and
change the channel ok for me.  You don't put anything in for external
channel changing command.  Also, set the initial channel to one of the
made up channel numbers that uses freqid of x-y (e.g. 19-2 from below).
Also, make sure that the type is set to us-bcast and not default.

>I've verified the channel settings in the channel editor.  For example,
>2.1 (PBS in Boston) has the TV Format set to ATSC and the Frequency ID
>set to 19-2.  Unless I've misunderstood the other postings here, I think
>that's all correct.

Yes, that looks like it could be correct.  You may want to look at my
site and see if there is any information there that may help.

http://thegeorges.us/mythtv .

HTH,
David