[mythtv-users] HDTV changing channels

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Sun Sep 12 20:41:06 EDT 2004

I have a HD-2000 card, and I'm running with the official 2.6 drivers
(with a 2.6.7 kernel).  I also have a PVR-250, so I only use the HD-2000
for ATSC.  I have Myth compiled from the Gentoo ebuilds.  All of this
applies the same with 0.16 as with 0.15.1 and earlier.

First, if I want to watch channel 7.1, I don't seem to be able to enter
7.1 to switch to it, as it doesn't think a period can be part of a
channel number.  Do I have to use some alternate encoding for my HDTV
channels, like 1xyz for xy.z?

Also, Myth doesn't seem to be telling the card to change channels.  If I
set the external channel change command to /bin/true, it works fine,
provided I first run dtvsignal to set the channel.  However, if I don't
use an external channel change program, Myth still doesn't change the
channel for me.  I tried using a real external channel changing command
once, but half the time Myth would the fail to open the video device,
presumably because the external command was too slow in closing it.

I've verified the channel settings in the channel editor.  For example,
2.1 (PBS in Boston) has the TV Format set to ATSC and the Frequency ID
set to 19-2.  Unless I've misunderstood the other postings here, I think
that's all correct.

--PC