[mythtv-users] OT: Adding second drive using LVM on /

Paul Pick paul.pick at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 15:11:43 EDT 2004

> /
> /swap
> /tmp
> /var
> All of my Myth files are on the root partition and it is quickly filling
> up.  I have extended the volume group successfully, but I'm having
> problems resizing the file system.  I know that it needs to be unmounted
> in order to user resize2fs (incidentally, is this OK for ext3?).

 Sure.

> I have
> unmounted it by booting into Linux rescue mode (RH 9.0) but when I run:
> resizefs /dev/pvname/lvname is tells me it's not a valid device (or
> thereabouts).

 You did chroot before trying that command, right? Does a vgdisplay
show your volume group okay (ie: did your rh9 rescue disk handle
the vg)?

 e2fsadm does logical volume and ext[23] filesystem resizing all at
once, btw, so I prefer to use it.

>  In retrospect, it would have been easier not to put my
> media files on the root partition. Can I extend this file system the way
> I have it set up now without some type of destructive command?

 You could shrink the logical volume for / (since you haven't
extended the fs, if you shrink the lv back to what it was, the
process will be non-destructive), extend the /var lv,
mv the media dir to /var (eg: mv /video /var/), and then symlink
the old media dir (eg: ln -s /var/video /video).

--
"We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different!"
 -- Kurt Vonnegut