[mythtv-users] OT: Home Theater wiring questions

pete stagman tyrstag at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 13:30:39 EDT 2004

Hi James,

I've done a bit of home theatre wiring, with home automation and all
that.

Any good quality 12-14 guage speaker cable works. What I have found
makes the most difference is to keep the cable lengths equal. ie If your
longest front cable is 22ft then ALL the front cables should be 22ft.
Same goes for rear and side if you have them. Never wrap extra cable
into loops, it can cause noise. Stuff the extra cable into the walls in
a jumble that can't create magnetic loops.

Personally I like to use Hubbell jacks and faceplates for everything.
www.hubbell-premise.com You'll have to do some searching on the website,
the online catalog stinks.  :( If you can get a real catalog it's easier
to find what you need.

For cable-TV you need RG-69 cable and F-Type connectors. Don't get the
twist on connectors. They WILL come off the cable. Get crimp on
connectors and spend a few extra $$ for a good quality crimper.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

--Pete