"Value-minded" system configuration (was Re: [mythtv-users] Lookingfor your experience)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 7 16:05:51 EDT 2004

On 09/07/2004 03:01 PM, Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

>If you are really into value, you should consider one of the AverMedia
>M179's instead of the Haupage:
>  http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
>
>At $53, its hard to beat and has the same encoding as the 250's. Most
>people report good results, some don't.
>
>It seems to be giving me good picture quality so far.

Good to know.  I haven't ever seen one, so I didn't want to recommend
it, but it's definitely another choice for the value-minded shopper.  It
would allow a dual tuner system for $451 ($151 less than with dual
PVR-250's) or a single tuner system for $398 ($75 less than a single
PVR-250).  There's also the option of getting one PVR-250 and one M179
and using the PVR-250 as the primary card for a total dual-tuner system
cost of $527 ($75 less than a dual-PVR-250 system).

Also, the link that worked for me was:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=15-100-003&depa=1

Mike