[mythtv-users] More Transcode questions

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Sep 7 13:03:26 EDT 2004

I'm running Mythtv 0.15.1 on Redhat 9 with a PVR350 and a 250. It's
running on an Athlon XP 1400+ with a gig of RAM. I have a bunch of shows
taped that I don't want to delete, but they're using a lot of space.
(whole point of transcoding I assume....) I'm having trouble getting
this working or at least seeing the result.

I have a Transcoding profile. It's NOT set to do it automatically.
When I start watching a recording I can hit X or bring up the menu and
start transcoding. Once I do that if I bring up the menu it then has
stop transcoding, so it's apparently working.

Questions:
How do I know it's working?
	should I see transcode or mythtranscode in processes?
	should I see something in mythbackend.log?
	where would I see errors if it isn't working correctly?
How long does it "typically" take?
In my "Recordings" directory, will it be the same file name and a
smaller file size? (MPEG2 -> MPEG4)

Thanks,
James