[mythtv-users] PVR350 and SPDIF

David myth at dgreaves.com
Mon Sep 6 17:00:08 EDT 2004

James Satterfield wrote:

>Stephen Tait <tait at digitallaw.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>At 16:59 06/09/2004, you wrote:
>>

>>>I'm using a pvr350 for tvout. Currently I'm running the audio out from
>>>

>>the
>>

>>>pvr350 to the line-in on the onboard sound. Speaker out on the sound goes

>>>the stereo. I'd like to use spdif to the stereo. I've seen in the past
>>>

>>that
>>

>>>it's difficult to get the sound card to take the line-in audio and pump
>>>

>>it
>>

>>>out over the spdif.
>>>

>Right, but the trick here is getting the line-in on the soundcard digitized
>and send out the spdif.
>
>James.

correct.

I've done it - it's almost pointless :)
It would mean that I can leave my amp set to spdif input and use my myth
box to manage the volume.

http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo#head-643f2586d7d128f5da749aca0ab6d44551311577

essentially run:

  arecord -D hw:0,0 -fdat | aplay -D mixed-digital
in the background.

(I don't think you can 'passthru' - as James says, you do need to sample and retransmit.

It's not a realistic solution - but you can do it ;)

David

PS and you can't hw decode the mpeg and extract the digital sound and send it straight to the spdif AFAIK - maybe sometime in ivtv's future.
Or maybe you could synchronise a sw decode of just the mp2 stream - but why bother...