[mythtv-users] PVR350 and SPDIF

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 13:21:02 EDT 2004

At 16:59 06/09/2004, you wrote:
>I'm using a pvr350 for tvout. Currently I'm running the audio out from the
>pvr350 to the line-in on the onboard sound. Speaker out on the sound goes to
>the stereo. I'd like to use spdif to the stereo. I've seen in the past that
>it's difficult to get the sound card to take the line-in audio and pump it
>out over the spdif.

Why do you need to pump the audio from the PVR-350 into the line-in? The
350 should encode the audio stream straight into the MPEG.

Hence when you play back the MPEG, you should get the sound. SPDIF is
usually quite easy to do in this fashion provided you have a card with good
ALSA/SPDIF support - e.g. pretty much any AC97 with SPDIF, and all the
SPDIF-enabled emu10k1 variants.