[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 (Model 990)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 5 05:47:39 EDT 2004

On 09/05/2004 02:40 AM, John Smith wrote:

>Is this the same PVR-350 that a lot of MythTV users
>use, or is the "Model 990" different?

Model 990 is the PVR-350.  Model 980 is the PVR-250.  Model 985 is the
PVR-250MCE.  Therefore, this is just a normal PVR-350.

Note, however, that the model number has nothing to do with the specific
configuration of the card (i.e. the tuner used on the card)--the
configuration can be linked to the series number (a 5-digit number
printed on the tuner--i.e. 32062 on a PVR-250 I just bought).  Many of
the new PVR-x50's (including the one I just bought) are using tuners for
which there is no support in the BTTV tuner driver, so using the card's
RF (Coax) input may require a) determining the appropriate
characteristics of the onboard tuner (preferrably from a datasheet), b)
defining that tuner in BTTV's tuner module, compiling the BTTV tuner
module, and installing IvyTV.  I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't
buy the PVR-x50, just that you might have to do some extra work to use
the onboard tuner.  If you're using S-Video or Composite inputs, you
bypass the tuner, so lack of support for the tuner is not a problem (you
can set the tuner to any value you want).  If you experience problems
with the tuner, let us know on the IvyTV mailing lists (
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73219 ).

>Just wondering,
>since there are quite a few reviews with 1-3 stars
>(out of five).
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008OOWC/qid=1094366140/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl23/103-5168458-5870255?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Probably because the people who experience problems are far more likely
to take the time to post reviews?

Mike