[mythtv-users] More FC2 MythTV problems...

1canuck2 1canuck2 at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 4 00:12:08 EDT 2004

So, week two of trying to get my MythTV box complete draws to a close and its
still not working...

Here's what I have done so far:
MythTV itself is working fine, the guide works, I can listen to music, use
MythWeb and MythWeather, however, I still cannot watch TV.

Some of my troubleshooting steps are outlined here:
http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5668

I know the PVR-250 is working.
Many instructoins sight some variation of having to enter the command:
modprobe ivtv-fb
but this command fails on my machine. I get this error:
FATAL: Error inserting ivtv_fb (/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521smp/extra/ivtv-fb.ko):
Operation not permitted
Other than that, everything else is good. I run Myth with a combination of
these command in modprobe.conf:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

and these commands in rc.local:

modprobe i2c-core
modprobe i2c-algo-bit
modprobe tuner type=8
modprobe msp3400 once=1 simpler=1 simple=0
modprobe videodev
modprobe saa7115
modprobe v4l1-compat

ivtvctl -u 0x3000
ivtvctl -p 4
ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480
ivtvctl -v input=3,output=1

When I try to Watch TV in Myth, the backend gives me this error:

2004-09-03 23:01:55 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Won't work with the streaming interface, falling back
VIDOCGMBUF:: Invalid argument

And the frontend gives me this over and over again until I kill it:
QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-09-03 23:02:13 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.

I am not sure if the Myth errors are related to my inability to run the
ivtv_fb command as I can't find much about it.

I have checked the perms on the buffer file (ringbuf1.nuv) and buffer folder
and all is good.

I did discover an error in mysqld startup:

Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.

and

040903  0:46:13  InnoDB: Out of memory in additional memory pool.
InnoDB: InnoDB will start allocating memory from the OS.
InnoDB: You may get better performance if you configure a bigger
InnoDB: value in the MySQL my.cnf file for
InnoDB: innodb_additional_mem_pool_size.

But I fixed it by adding:
innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:500M:autoextend
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
to the my.cnf

I am grasping at straws here and have run out of ideas. Any help would be
appreciated.